Thursday, May 29, 2008

Scriptures That Speak to Me - Part 4

I continue my journey through Scriptures that have spoken deeply to me throughout my life. I believe it is good to have passages that have serve as road markers for your journey. I have recently been studying 1 and 2 Samuel in the Old Testament, my favorite two books in the Scriptures, so I figured I would write about my favorite passage from those two books today. This is perhaps my favorite passage in all the Scriptures.

2 Samuel 7:18-29 (Click to read passage)

The setting of this passage is David has just been anointed king over all of Israel. David was so overwhelmed with humility, gratitude, and thanks -- all that could come out of him was this heart-felt, authentic prayer. I have often prayed this prayer to God and have been brought to tears by it. I often feel overwhelmed that God would choose me to lead His people and build His kingdom, so I resonate a lot with David's prayer. Here are some of my favorite lines from the passage:

* "Who am I, O Sovereign LORD, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far? (vs. 18)

* Is this your usual way of dealing with man, O Sovereign LORD? (vs. 19)

* "How great you are, O Sovereign LORD! There is no one like you, and there is no God but you, as we have heard with our own ears. (vs. 22)

* "And now, LORD God, keep forever the promise you have made concerning your servant and his house. Do as you promised, 26 so that your name will be great forever. (vs. 25-26)

* "O LORD Almighty, God of Israel, you have revealed this to your servant, saying, 'I will build a house for you.' So your servant has found courage to offer you this prayer. (vs. 27)

No comments:

Post a Comment