Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Scriptures that Speak to Me - Part 1

I'm starting something new here at the Savage Generation BLOG. I want to begin to post different Scriptures that have had an impact on my life and that I often go back to read and reread again. I want to try and post these weekly and give brief explanations to why they speak so deeply to me. I hope you enjoy reading them; I would love to hear back from you about the Scriptures that speak to you.

1 Timothy 1:15-16 (Click to read the brief verse)
This passage has always felt like my calling card. I fully understand that Jesus came to save sinners, upon which I have been the worst. I feel completely unworthy and unqualified to be serving as the lead pastor of a church and standing before God's people every week to share His words to them. The only thing that gives me assurance is this verse; even though I know I have a sin stained past, I can be an example to everyone else of God's grace, patience, and mercy, and they too can believe and receive eternal life. Let all honor and glory be to God for that!


1 Samuel 2:35 (Click to read the brief verse)
This verse is a recently discovered passage for me, but when I read it I could not go past it without some reflection. The backdrop of this verse is God reprimanding Eli the priest for his family's wickedness. They were supposed to minister as God's priest for all generations, but they did not obey God and follow His ways. This verse then describes the fact that God will raise up a faithful priest who will act on behalf of God's heart. I was struck by the fact that God doesn't need any family or person to do His will -- He will raise up the leaders and the generation who will serve the desires of His heart. My prayer instantly became, "let this be me Oh Lord". My choices are to obey God and seek to please Him and His heart, or I can go my own direction and choose to please people or myself. I want to stand before God one day and here Him confirm that I embodied this passage. This verse has quickly became a favorite for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment