Last night Katrina and I hosted a small group in our home. We invited people from The Journey that live in the Hermitage/Mt Juliet area who are new and looking for connection. We have a great mixture of people and diversity of backgrounds. Each person in the group is in a different place in their journey of faith. The goal of the small group is that we would spur one another on toward growth in our walk with Jesus.
Things we talked about:
* We did an ice-breaker where you have to write down two truths about yourself and one lie. When you introduce yourself you have to share the three things and the group guesses which is the lie. It was hilarious trying to guess people's lie. Poor John Griffin learned that you never say that the age a women tells you is a lie. :-)
* We talked about where each of us are on the journey with God. We talked about where we would like to be a year from now. People opened up and shared a lot and the things they are looking to grow in really impressed me.
* I talked about the four things every group should have in order to be healthy(According to Rick Warren).
1. Authenticity - you got to keep it real (1 John 1:7-8)
2. Mutuality - giving and receiving, depending on one another (Romans 1:12)
3. Sympathy - entering in and sharing the pain of others, no flippant, quick solution answers to problems people share (Colossians 3:12)
4. Mercy - a place where mistakes are rubbed out, not in (2 Corinthians 2:7 / Colossians 3:13)
* We concluded the night with breaking the guys and girls up into groups. We share prayer request and challenged each other to take the necessary steps of journeying with God this week.
I look forward to the future of this group and all that we will experience together.