Thursday, April 10, 2008

We Didn't Meet in a Strip Joint

Yesterday, I had the privilege to speak to the faculty of Rutland Elementary School, future home of The Journey @ Providence. I was given the opportunity to cast the vision of The Journey to this group of teachers and share a small bit of our story with them. I began by thanking them for the opportunity to share with them and be at their meeting. I then proceeded to introduce myself and the others from the Journey who were present. Then, I launched into the creation story of the Journey and told them, "we started in a strip center on Hwy 109." The entire room of teachers, all women minus one, erupted in uncontrollable laughter. I kind of looked around smiling not knowing what hilarious joke I had just told, and I even wondered if my fly was unzipped. Someone then pointed out to me that they had gotten a kick out of how I said it, because it came across as me saying we met in a "strip joint".

Needless to say, it was a great meeting with the faculty. They like to joke and have fun, and I'm glad I was able to provide some end of the day humor. I went on to tell them about our plans to meet there as one church in multiple locations, but I emphasized more than anything that we desire to serve them and establish a relationship with the school that would be of great value. When I was finished, they all clapped and were excited about The Journey coming to their school. I anticipate a great relationship with this school and its faculty; however, WE DIDN'T MEET IN A STRIP CENTER!

No comments:

Post a Comment