Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Scriptures that Speak to Me

It has been a while since I've posted any Scriptures that speak to me. These are just passages that have spoken to me throughout or at different portions of my life. The Scripture I'm posting today has recently become a favorite of mine. I have probably read it many times throughout my life, but it has spoke even clearer to me lately.

John 7:16-18 NLT
16 So Jesus told them, “My message is not my own; it comes from God who sent me. 17 Anyone who wants to do the will of God will know whether my teaching is from God or is merely my own. 18 Those who speak for themselves want glory only for themselves, but a person who seeks to honor the one who sent him speaks truth, not lies.

This has become the gauge upon which my messages are formed and prepared. My prayer has always been that God would speak through me, but lately I'm constantly asking myself if I'm seeking to speak what God wants or my own ideas. I think a problem that exists in the church in our country is that too many preachers are preaching to glorify themselves instead of the one who's ideas they are to be sharing. The day in which I seek to honor myself by sharing my ideas and quit seeking to share God's message is the day I need to step down. This passage is written on a piece of paper in my office for me to see constantly. I hope that it may somehow speak to you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment