Sunday, July 6, 2008

Sunday Reflections

I don't know any other way to begin but by saying WOW! We began our War Zone series this week and today was just a great day. It was awesome being back with everyone after being out sick the week before. The worship was simply incredible today. Robbie is bringing great leadership and a heart of worship is undeniably been birthed in him. It is awesome to watch God grow him. The band also did a great job with the special song and the bumper video for the series was excellent.

Now that I have mentioned all the things that I enjoyed, let me tell you about what I didn't. I did not enjoy the extreme battle I was engaged in while speaking today. I've excepted it, but not enjoyed it. During the entire message I was struggling with confidence. I never have those type of thoughts and emotions going on. I felt as though the crowd was staring at their watch thinking, "come on dude wrap it up!" I could hear voices in my head telling me I was stupid and that nobody was listening. It was a horrible feeling, but I kept believing that God was at work. It was much better the second service; however, we had some technology woes that sprang up -- imagine that. Overall, many came forward for prayer in both services and afterward. I believe many eyes were opened. I hope we were all awakened to the war today.

Thank you all for the encouragement you gave me expressing how the message spoke to you. I realize that we are all going to be experiencing more spiritual warfare during this series than perhaps we have ever seen. I want all of you to be on your guard this week. Stand firm against the enemy and remember that "greater is He who is in us than he who is in this world" - 1 John 4:4. The next three weeks of the series we will dive deeper into how we can recognize those attacks and how we respond.

I love this church. I love the spirit of our people. I love how everyone is willing to embrace this subject and take a serious look at their lives in light of it. As we growing internally, we will continue to grow externally. May God's grace and love guide each of you.

4 comments:

  1. dude, thanks for the props! we weren't the only ones who brought it today! great job. this is just a reminder that we all need to be prepared for what is going to happen to all of us as we listen to your teaching. love ya bro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is kinda crazy that after many months of searching for a new church home, and planning on visiting several times, this was the Sunday for our first time worshipping with The Journey. I can honestly say no sermon I have heard in person this year has hit home and caused me to think like this one has. So, the next few weeks are going to be ridiculously tough for you to preach and for those of us taking it in to put it into practice. But, it will be worth the struggle as we are better equipped to recognize and deal with the struggles in our lives. Thanks for your dedication to preach God's Word and I am looking forward getting to know you guys better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. During the month of June Cindy and Robbie had challenged the praise team to read Psalms. Of course I didn't make it through the entire book, but I read quite a few of them. I remember Mike's mom telling me that when Mike was in desert storm and she didn't know where he was or if he was safe for weeks and weeks that she would pray Psalm 91 over him. I went back and read over it again and I just wanted you to know that I am praying this one over your series. I know the enemy would love nothing more that for this one to fail because you are calling him out for people to see in places they never would have thought to look for him, but as a mom of a teenager, I can't think of a more important message to bring. I know that the enemy is praying on my daughter in places that seem so innocent that we will never see it coming. I for one would like to know where to look before its too late...This is Psalm 91 from the Message Interpretation:


    -13You who sit down in the High God's presence, spend the night in Shaddai's shadow,
    Say this: "God, you're my refuge.
    I trust in you and I'm safe!"
    That's right—he rescues you from hidden traps,
    shields you from deadly hazards.
    His huge outstretched arms protect you—
    under them you're perfectly safe;
    his arms fend off all harm.
    Fear nothing—not wild wolves in the night,
    not flying arrows in the day,
    Not disease that prowls through the darkness,
    not disaster that erupts at high noon.
    Even though others succumb all around,
    drop like flies right and left,
    no harm will even graze you.
    You'll stand untouched, watch it all from a distance,
    watch the wicked turn into corpses.
    Yes, because God's your refuge,
    the High God your very own home,
    Evil can't get close to you,
    harm can't get through the door.
    He ordered his angels
    to guard you wherever you go.
    If you stumble, they'll catch you;
    their job is to keep you from falling.
    You'll walk unharmed among lions and snakes,
    and kick young lions and serpents from the path.

    14-16 "If you'll hold on to me for dear life," says God,
    "I'll get you out of any trouble.
    I'll give you the best of care
    if you'll only get to know and trust me.
    Call me and I'll answer, be at your side in bad times;
    I'll rescue you, then throw you a party.
    I'll give you a long life,
    give you a long drink of salvation!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chad,
    Thanks for the encouragement. I hate I was unable to see you guys after the service, I got caught up with other folks. I definitely look forward to getting to know you and your family.

    Shelly,
    Please pray for me. I can never have too much of that. I'm grateful for you being willing to do that.

    ReplyDelete