Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Confessions of a Sinful Pastor

I'm a very optimistic person. I will rarely take the side of pessimism when comes to anything. I simply refuse to be the person who has something to complain about around every corner. I try to take this optimism into every environment I'm in. Recently, I've noticed that there is an area in my life where I am pessimistic. What is that area? Other churches. That's right, I said it, I'm pessimistic about other churches. 

The reason I say this is because I tend to have doubts about other churches and church plants/planters motivations. I know many people have genuine hearts to plant churches so that they can reach people, but I also know that church planting has become the hip and trendy thing to do. I have found myself getting pessimistic. The thing that is worse, I've been unconsciously jealous or envious of other churches success. I have had the mindset of "if they are successful, we may not be." It is a ridiculous way of thinking, but one that God revealed to me that is in me. 

Here is what God began to show me. God revealed to me that if I'm not careful, I will be concerned with my success over and above the success of other churches. Which at the end of the day means that I desire for myself to be known more than I desire God to be known. God gently reminded me of the passage in John 3:30 where John the Baptist says of Jesus baptizing more people than him, "He must become greater, I must become less." I think that is what needs to happen in me. He must become greater, which means more churches having more success. I must become less, which means that I remember that its not about me or "my" success. Recently, I have started a habit of praying for all the local pastors and that God would bless their family and church, and make them successful. I pray that you would join me in that endeavor. 

I hope my honesty doesn't repel you, but it is simply a confession from a man who needs forgiveness for my selfishness.  

4 comments:

  1. ...and that is why The Journey will be successful. Because even though our leadership is human, they have a desire to glorify God in their humility. If your authenticity repels people, I think maybe they belong in one of those flashy weekly pep rallies that call themselves churches. At the Journey I find real people led by real people with real hearts for Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts man! This is why I love following you, God's work in your life is overwhelmingly apparent. I hope we continue to grow individually, as a leaders, and ultimately as a church.

    It is my prayer that we can become a desirable bride for Christ. I am committed to serve along side you, in whatever way possible, until that end is reached or until you get tired of me and kick me out:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ......to me that only shows your humbleness(sp?)and willingness to show we all have faults and failures which is not always easy to admit.

    Thank God for His Mercy. Without it I don't know where I would be that's for sure!!!!

    I just want to say thank you for your sincerity and keep up the good work! God is definitely using you for His Glory. What a privilege it is to be used by God, our creator and SOON coming KING!!

    God bless you and your family as God guides you along the path of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your honesty! I am in a church right now where growth is all we hear about. I would say to a point of being unbiblical. Can you give advice about how to address our pastor? Matt 23 is sticking out in my mind, but I don't know what to do.

    ReplyDelete