Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Journey through Luke

It is so important to find time to be in God's Word. We all have an excuse for why we don't have enough time to do it is often as we would like. The reality is, we make time for things that matter to us. Ouch! That hurts a little. But its true. What I have found to be helpful when I read the Scriptures for personal growth, not just sermon development, is when I journal. I write down the date, the passage, and my thoughts down about it. I'll write whatever insight I have about myself, others, leadership, church stuff, or just the world in general. I don't read a particular amount of Scripture. I like to do what I call "read until it resonates." I read until something stands out. Then I ask the question, "God, why is this standing out to me?" "What are you trying to teach me through this passage right now?" Give a shot and see how this helps your Bible reading time.

If you want to journey with me through the Gospel of Luke, that is where I am right now. I have gotten through the first 5 chapters. The following are thoughts that resonated with me and the references to which Scripture it was:

* God will work with other people, if you are unwilling to listen to what He is trying to say (Luke 4:14-30)

* My words must be fueled by the Holy Spirit in order to carry power (Luke 4:36)

* Speaking with authority and power is what God will use to spread HIS message far and wide (Luke 4:37)

* Jesus stay grounded and focused on the work at hand through reflection, prayer, and solitude (Luke 4:42-43)

* I must seek the Father to stay focused and fueled by the mission He has given me, I cannot maintain a spiritual authority or power apart from Him (Luke 4:42-43)

* If God directs me/us to do something, it doesn't mean we don't do it just because we have been unsuccessful in the past. I must be obedient to Him (Luke 5:4-7)

* Even as Jesus gained more prominence and fame he still withdrew to be with God (Luke 5:12-16)

* The church and Christians often keep out the people who most desperately need to be in (Luke 5:17-26)

1 comment:

  1. good post. this one hit home for me. it's not enough to just THINK about God. scripture reading is an area i definitely fall short and am trying to be more disciplined about. thanks for being insightful and being such an awesome leader. keep your head held high!

    ReplyDelete