Monday, July 27, 2009

Making God like us vs Us being like God

A thought crossed my mind as I was driving down the road the other day. I was thinking about how often times people excuse their behaviors and lifestyle as something that God does not get upset about. We twist what His Word says to make it say what we want or to get ourselves off the hook for coming up short. Very few people truly immerse themselves into wanting their lives to reflect the life of Jesus. We don't want to go through the painstaking process of surrendering our will to His will. After thinking through this reality a statement came to my mind:

"We fashion God into who we want Him to be instead of fashioning ourselves into who He is"


This statement just seemed to flow from out of the blue, but the more I think about it, the more I think it is absolutely true. We want to make God into what we want Him to be. A God who is okay with our behaviors, pursuits, and disobedience. A God who will justify not loving someone who's wronged us. A God who will justify sleeping with my boyfriend or girlfriend before I've committed my life to them in marriage. The Scriptures say we are created in the image and likeness of God, not God created in our image and likeness. Our goal is become like Him, to be transformed into Christ-like character.

Question: in what ways have you seen others or yourself try to make God in your image? How can we surrender to Him so that we may become like Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment