Thursday, January 8, 2009

Preach It Brother!

I had to post this quote that I read this morning from the book I'm reading, Seeds of Contemplation by Thomas Merton. In his chapter, Theology of the Devil, Merton is talking about the prevailing theology of only talking about sin, punishment, and people who seem to love discussing this. He says,

It sometimes happens that men who preach most vehemently about evil and the punishment of evil, so that they seem to have practically nothing else on their minds except sin, are really unconscious haters of other men. They think the world does not appreciate them, and this is their way of getting even.


Wow! Now that is well said and extremely insightful. I agree with his assessment of preachers who only seem to focus on the sin of men and describing to others the punishment forthcoming. Does this mean to avoid all such conversation? No. It does mean that you should not derive pleasure, nor revolve your entire preaching ministry around this topic.

Just thought I would share that today. I love that quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment