Thursday, October 1, 2009

Milk or Solids?

We are only a handful of days from having our second child in the Reed home. Little Kaleigh Grace could be here any day now and we are real excited. We are doing all of our homework and preparations for feeding and caring for her as we await her arrival. When she is born she will obviously start off needing milk for nourishment, but will eventually grow to need solids. For her to progress in healthy manner, she doesn't need to stay on milk forever. 

I was reminded of the reality that as followers of Jesus we are not supposed to stay on milk forever either. We are supposed to mature and develop to be people who can take in solids. The writer of Hebrews reminds of this is when he says, 

"11About this we have much to say, and it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing. 12For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God. You need milk, not solid food, 13for everyone who lives on milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, since he is a child. 14But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil. 1Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God..." - Hebrews 5:11-6:1 (ESV)

We are called to move forward in our walk with God and not stay the same as when we came in. Many should move from needing to receive the basics to teaching others. We should be growing toward maturity. 

Questions: Why do some struggle to ever move from milk to solids? What things have you done personally to help yourself mature in the things of God?

2 comments:

  1. Why do some struggle to ever move from milk to solids? What things have you done personally to help yourself mature in the things of God?

    I know it might be harsh, but I think it has to do with if that person has a true strong desire to have a relationship with God.

    I look at it this way...I can play piano a small bit, and guitar a small bit...I can say I have a desire to be able to really play those intsruments well..but if I don't practice then that in itself shows that I don't really want or have a desire to do so..b/c if I did then I would practice at all costs!

    There were points in my life where I said that I wanted to be a strong Christian and follow after God, but my life actions spoke otherwise therefore revealing my true desire..and it wasn't for Him.

    Now I have a desire beyond just the milk...I'm seeking to move to the meat by digging more in the Word..more in spending time with Him...more in fellowship with others that spur me onto growth! When I come to something I don't understand or something that needs more thought I seek those that can help me or just simply pray that the Holy Spirit can help reveal what I'm to learn through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think others struggle to progress because, all Christians reach that point in their walk with Jesus that they all called to spread the gospel in some way. And I think there are two barriers that stand in the way for us to progress and move forward with the universal will of God. One being we don't allow any time in our busy lives to educate ourselves in the bible thus we aren't ready to fully share god with others because we still have many questions ourselves.(and I'm speaking from experience here not condemning any one else). Two being the biggest one is that there is lot a fear for us in trying to share Christ with total strangers or even people we are close too. I myself have faced both these conflicts in my walk with God and he has come out victorious through me in both areas. I've prayed for and received the desire to read Gods word, and it has not only educated me but has allowed me to spend that much needed time with the father. And as far as sharing Christ with others goes, like I've shared before, others are in danger of being eternally separated from God and that alone is enough to break through that barrier of fear and move forward to share the love of Christ.

    ReplyDelete